Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Writing for the environment

I have been wondering if I made the right decision, going for environmental science instead of marine biology. Old friends I run into on the street all ask how it's going over at the Marine Science Institute. For a heartbeat, I feel my chest caving in. Then I tell them I'm actually in environmental science. It wouldn't be so bad if only a few people have inquired after my supposed career in marine science, but even people I hardly knew in high school are under the impression I'm swimming with the dolphins. I've had to make the correction so many times, I now say environmental science with a sheepish laugh. That is not how I want to talk about my job.

I need to re-assess where I am. I find myself more interested in the material I have had to read for marine mammal conservation. On the other hand, I can barely wrap my head around climate change. Turns out it's not my cup of tea after all. I belong in the ocean (yes, swimming with the dolphins). A lot of the things I want to do in the future will require me to be in the water. Sure, I'll still get to do those things as an environmental scientist, but I'll get to do them all the time if I was a marine biologist like I originally planned. I know what I said in that blog entry about career change, and I'm beginning to feel like a cheating lover. I should have just stuck to my guns. I wouldn't be abandoning environmental science; I would just be choosing to be more specific about the environment I want to work in. Decisions will have to be made soon while it's early and I'm not raking in all those ES units yet.

Anyway, here is something we can all do regardless of the career path we have chosen. The environment concerns everyone, and Blog Action Day is providing an opportunity for us to give it the attention it deserves.


On October 15th, more than six million blogs will write about one topic: the environment. The writing project is a good way to get people to think carefully about how current natural and anthropogenic trends are affecting the earth. How are these changes influencing the future of the planet? The sheer number of participating blogs will yield a spectrum of views about these issues. It should be interesting to see how that pans out.

You can blog about the environment in your signature style or step out of your comfort zone and try something new. Check out their official site and get your blog registered. Let's write to save the environment.

6 seen below:

joyfulchicken said...

Marine animals are tasty. Yay.

Poli said...

That's an interesting project. I don't know if I would be able to pull-off something serious though.

I'm kinda shallow minded.

Jhed said...

Gotta find yourself, girl.

I'm actually going thru the same dilemma.. should I go for medicine or advertising? It's two very different fields, so it's harder for me to decide.

Anyway, I wish you all the luck on your decision. I'm sure, whatever you choose between the two.. you'll do a good job on doing it. :)

p said...

i've been mulling about blog action day, wanting to do something different..

as far as the fishes are concerned, i think they're happy so long as you're happy. :P

kubiyat said...

@joyfulchicken: forbidden fruit! forbidden fruit!

@poli: haha nah, i don't think you're shallow-minded. and besides, you can choose to write about the environment any way you want. :)

@jhed: thanks for the encouragement. :) and likewise. you'll do great in whichever field you choose.

kubiyat said...

@paolo: there is no think, there is only do. write write!
:)

i feel the fishy love :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...